Sunday, January 9, 2011

Modern Bedrooms

http://olioboard.com/users/sallyjl

I must admit, I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to decor, but I do love elements of modern design. I love the simplified lines if the furniture and the bold, graphic patterns in fabrics. I like the idea that a traditional material like brass, can be brought back to life as a fun side table, or a make a statement, as a streamlined chandelier. I think design principles don't really change too much in different style rooms. You always need pattern, contrast, texture and some sparkle. That's how I approached my design for a modern bedroom.

I really liked the bold patterned fabric and it's great colour palette. I took the base colour taupe and used it as a simple headboard and side chair. Then the green became accent pillows, piping on bedding and a funky table lamp. The actual fabric itself would make a great bench at the end of the bed, as well as more side pillows and even curtains. The second fabric is more of an accent piece, to liven up the room. I would keep the bedding either white or ivory to keep things light. Then, maybe make the drapes a floaty linen or cotton blend with some woven blinds for texture. I like that the brown in the fabric comes out in the wood pieces and that the brass chandelier adds some sparkle.

I'm also drooling over these two gorgeous bedrooms!

Courtesy of Elle Decor

Courtesy of Kelly Wearstler

No comments:

Post a Comment