Monday, July 18, 2011

Island Style


Olioboard

I was asked by a fellow West Indies Style lover, to come up with some ideas to bring the Island vibe to her Florida beach pad. She already has the Pottery Barn "Austin" leather couch and the zebra print rug, I added a few tropical accents to bring the Island style home. It's easy to go over the top with this type of decor and become too "themed," but I think, if you add subtle layers and natural accessories, you can achieve the look in a classic and collected way. My suggestions would be; light wall colours (preferably white), linen or cotton drapes (for the breezy, fresh feel), tropical plants (to add life to the room), hurricane style candlelight, lamps with an antiqued feel (like the Tripod lamp from Ballard) and other items such as trunks, leather bound books, and globes. I loved this large canvas art from OBX Trading. This one in particular played into the colour scheme I was going for. She also already has a seagrass chair (great texture) so I suggested the foldable leather stools, that could be used as footrests, a place for magazines, or additional child seating for entertaining!  I also provided an alternate plan with a lighter more contemporary, blue palette - more to come!


OBX Trading Company

No comments:

Post a Comment