Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Vintage Vibe

http://olioboard.com/users/sallyjl

So, what is vintage? If you look it up in the ole dictionary it says.. ahem.. " it refers to things from a certain era, especially old or antiquated." For some reason when I think vintage, I also think eclectic.. (meaning varying styles). I think the two go hand in hand together. I love the idea of mixing thrift store finds with antiques and hand me downs. Taking something old and giving it a new groove.  I like the juxtaposition of old and new. The contrast in styles is a great way to really personalise a room and add a lot of interest.

In my design for a vintage (girly) living room, I used some gorgeous furniture from Restoration Hardware as the base for my eclectic design. I like the distressed looking dresser with the antiqued looking mirror. Together, they don't say a particular era or time... they just kinda compliment each other. That to me, is vintage.

I love these images below as inspirations to this 'vibe.' How about thinking outside the box and using a non-traditional piece of furniture as a side table? A vintage hamper works equally as well and adds a lot of texture against the pretty floral fabric and frilled lamp shade.

I adore, the last image also. So many elements bought together to create a stunningly co-hesive room...huge carriage house style lantern, vintage rattan furniture, coffered ceilings, perisan rug, teak console, painted brick... who would have thought!!

 
Courtesy of Southern Living

Courtesy of decorpad


No comments:

Post a Comment